My opinion can be summed up with a quote from famed film producer Darryl F. Zanuck, who once opined: “There is nothing duller on the screen than being accurate but not dramatic.”
As we find ourselves half-way through the regular season’s final month let’s look at some September’s hottest hitters so far in terms of OPS. Here’s the top five from last week.
1. Hunter Pence is 13 for 29 so far in September. Not only is he getting on base nearly half the time he’s hitting for tremendous power. He has 6 homers and 19 RBIs so far to go along with a robust 1.572 OPS.
2. Chris Iannetta may only be hitting .232 on the season but he’s red hot here in September. If you’re looking for a fantasy bargain for your playoff push Iannetta may be your answer at the catcher spot. He’s 9 for 21 so far with 3 homers. While he only has knocked in 5 this month, he sits at second in the MLB with a September OPS of 1.452.
3. Moises Sierra like all Toronto Blue Jays have an uphill climb when it comes to name recognition, but the 25 year old right-fielder is quickly becoming a fan favorite north of the border. Sierra is 11 for 21 this month and while he hasn’t hit for power so far he has been a doubles machine in September with 6 two-baggers and a 1.450 OPS.
4. Jason Donaldson has been a lethal cog in the A’s machine all year long, but he has been nothing short of spectacular for Oakland as they’ve pulled away from the pack down the backstretch. Donaldson is 6 for 18 with 2 HRs and 6RBis this month to go along with a 1.449 OPS
5. Freddie Freeman not only had a great week, he’s had a great season in Atlanta. He hit an even .500 this past week with 2 homers and 3 RBIs to leave him at 99 on the season with two weeks to go.